Why Japanese used Kei trucks or mini trucks are popular worldwide?
Japanese Mini Trucks or Kei Trucks are smaller, less expensive and lighter trucks. Kei literally mean light weight. These Japanese Kei Trucks come with 2WD, 4WD, automatic transmissions, forced induction engines, air conditioning and several other optional features.
The Japanese Mini Trucks can be used to carry out many jobs in various sectors like Fishing, Farming, Hotels, Hunting, Construction, Manufacturing, Industrial Complexes, Industrial Mines, Amusement Parks, Museums, Race Tracks and Auto Garages.
The Japanese Kei Trucks are very popular especially in Canada, USA and other Asian and African countries. The best quality Japanese Kei Trucks manufacturers include Daihatsu, Suzuki, Isuzu, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Subaru, Hino, and Mazda.
Here are some basic facts related to the Japanese Kei Trucks which will help you know why they are so popular.
- 4×4 Japanese Mini Truck or Kei Truck is an ATV. It can even be regarded as a multi-purpose utility vehicle.
- The Japanese Kei Trucks have to follow strict EPA emissions standards and must pass the mandatory inspection.
- The engines of Mini Trucks are available in 550cc to 660cc. The engine is 40MPG, 2, 3 or 4 cylinder gasoline engines.
- A few of the Kei Trucks are even available with axle lock or differential lock.
- The Kei Trucks have 12” tires.
- The Japanese Mini Trucks have a weight of 1800lbs.
- These Mini Trucks have a bed capacity of roughly 880lbs.
- These 4×4 Kei Mini Trucks from Japan have been approved in USA for off road use only.
- The Kei Trucks have 4’x6’ rear bed with folding sides. Some of these are even available with hydraulics and dumps.
- The dimensions of these are 10 feet long, four feet wide and five feet high.
- The Kei Trucks have complete instrumentation like wipers, defrost, oil, electric, headlight which are all standard. In addition, some of these vehicles even have air conditioner.
- The Japanese 4×4 Kei Trucks provide up to 60 MPH. Yet in USA, it is only permitted travel at maximum 25 MPH.
The above mentioned aspects and its myriad uses could be few reasons why the Japanese Kei Trucks are so well known worldwide. The fuel efficiency of Japanese Kei Trucks could be one more reason why they are a preferred choice in different countries.
Mini Trucks for United States
There are a few state laws which govern the use of Japanese Mini Trucks in the United States. Mini Trucks are basically sold as off-road vehicles for work in farms and construction sites. While Mini Trucks do have the capacity to go at 55 MPH or even more, devices attached to it restrict it to just 25MPH.
As the Mini Trucks are sold as off road vehicles, Federal Safety Standards are not applicable in their case. Very few states permit these Kei Trucks on Public Roads. Yet in nearly 18 states the Trucks are permitted to pass through some portions of the public road. The Kei Trucks are allowed by local ordinance in Missouri and Illinois. There are 5 states where the Mini Trucks need to comply with the Federal Safety Standards meant for low speed vehicles. These states are Kansas, Illinois, New Hampshire, Tennessee and Maine.